As previously corresponded the Munster Football Association would be holding Provincial Competitions in 2022 for all our affiliated members. Following a competition meeting with all affiliated leagues, proposals were sent to leagues to discuss and choose their preferred option. While the competition structure will not suit everyone it was the option of the majority of correspondence that was returned. As previously stated at our meeting it will take a few years to get this 100% right but the addition of Provincial Competitions can only help towards increasing participation numbers within the game. The competitions that the MFA will run are the following,
- Munster Junior Women’s Cup & Shield*
- Munster U19 Girl’s Cup & Shield* (U18 & U19 teams eligible)
- Munster U17 Girl’s Cup & Shield*
* Shield dependent on entry levels
All competitions will be open draw from the beginning of the competition. All teams that enter will go into the Cup and any teams defeated in either a Preliminary or 1st Round fixture will then enter a shield competition where again it will be an open draw from the beginning.
* Running a shield in each grade is down to the entry numbers, while I feel we should not see an issue with entries at Women’s or U17’s because of the affiliated numbers we could see an issue at U19 so it is imperative that all leagues encourage all their clubs to take part in all competitions.
The Calendar for all competitions will be Feb/Mar – May/June. A more detailed calendar will be published when the FAI Competitions calendar is confirmed in the coming days.
The MFA Cup Competitions are taking place in the current standard/winter season 2021-2022 so age alignments are to this season, we have put the calendar Feb – June in to accommodate all leagues as there is a 50/50 split Winter Season/Calendar Season throughout the Munster Region.
Entry Fees are €35 Junior & €25 U19 & U17and entry forms have been sent to Clubs. Closing date for entries is January 21st with the draws to take place the following week.